i don't even know how it is already thursday! gasp. i had a bunch of blog posts ready (in my mind) for this week, but i guess i dropped the ball on those. here are a few pictures of the food we ate this weekend. i totally loved watching general conference and spending time with my little family. i am SO blessed.
for breakfast we had monkey bread. p helped me make it and she got really good at rolling dough into balls and dipping them in cinnamon sugar. this recipe is from Baked Explorations. it is so much better making the dough from scratch. they have you make a sweet dough and roll it in butter, and a mix of brown sugar and cinnamon. let it raise and it comes out of the oven all sorts of gooey delicious.
i also tried my hand at naan! this turned out divine! i froze half of the dough and we still had leftovers. the recipe was SO SO easy. i used this recipe from allrecipes.com
- 1 (.25 ounce) package active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 4 1/2 cups bread flour
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic (optional)
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Let stand about 10 minutes, until frothy. Stir in sugar, milk, egg, salt, and enough flour to make a soft dough. Knead for 6 to 8 minutes on a lightly floured surface, or until smooth. Place dough in a well oiled bowl, cover with a damp cloth, and set aside to rise. Let it rise 1 hour, until the dough has doubled in volume.
- Punch down dough, and knead in garlic. Pinch off small handfuls of dough about the size of a golf ball. Roll into balls, and place on a tray. Cover with a towel, and allow to rise until doubled in size, about 30 minutes.
- During the second rising, preheat grill to high heat.
- At grill side, roll one ball of dough out into a thin circle. Lightly oil grill. Place dough on grill, and cook for 2 to 3 minutes, or until puffy and lightly browned. Brush uncooked side with butter, and turn over. Brush cooked side with butter, and cook until browned, another 2 to 4 minutes. Remove from grill, and continue the process until all the naan has been prepared.