when i was pregnant with penelope one of my weaknesses were peanut butter bars. not just any peanut butter bars, only the ones they sold at the pier 49 (pizza shop in UT) that i worked down the street from. i tried not not to overdo it on the deliciousness, but they were seriously good. i ran across this recipe and it seemed like it might be the ticket. it was! i made them up this weekend and the leftovers have been down right dangerous to have about. these are SO good you won't want to eat anything else for a week straight. here's the recipe:
peanut butter bars
this recipe is adapted from french knots (i decided to make a couple of changes of my own), found here.
- 3/4 cup butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup peanut butter (crunchy or creamy)
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 3/4 cup flour
- 2 cups oats
- 3 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/3 cup softened butter
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 tablespoons Hershey's cocoa
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees
- Cream butter, peanut butter, sugars, eggs, and vanilla until smooth. Add flour, salt, soda, and oats.
- Spread in greased 9" X 13" pan. Dough will be sticky.
- Bake for 15-20 min, until the edges are golden.
- Allow dough to completely cool. Place in fridge if necessary.
- whip all ingredients together until light and fluffy.
- Spread frosting on top of cookies. Cut and serve with ice-cold milk.