My mom used to make these a lot when I was a wee one and so they are also a bit nostalgic for me. OK, here's how we do this.
1) Prepare a box of chocolate cake as instructed on the box. I used Betty Crocker Fudgy Chocolate. If you want it super rich, go for Devils food.
2) Fill your lined cupcake tins 1/4 full (usually makes 30ish)
3) Now make the filling
Cream Cheese Filling:
1 8 oz Package of cream cheese
2 C. chocolate chips (use semi-sweet, they are superior)
1/4 C sugar
Blend the above ingredients well
4) Drop 1-2 T of filling in each cupcake tin
5) Fill tins to about 3/4 full with the rest of your batter
6) Bake as instructed on your box
7) NOW, you can dust these babies with powdered sugar and consume right away. they are great warm, room temp or chilled...anyway really. I frosted them with a vanilla butter cream and i have used cream cheese frosting in the past. I prefer the butter cream or just powdered sugar.
Simple Butter cream:
1/2 C. butter
3-4 C powdered sugar
2 t vanilla
pinch of salt
Beat the living daylights out of your butter (high for 5 min), add powdered sugar, vanilla and salt and beat more. It should be very fluffy.